Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Day 13 - DavidsTea Advent calendar

Day 13 and yet another non-tea "tea". Today's is Creme Caramel Rooibos, which is a non-caffeinated rooibos drink. Please...give me 24 days of "real" tea, made from leaves of the camellia sinensis plant (which has caffeine!). I also have an issue with rooibos - most of the time, I find it has a smoky/burnt flavour which I don't like. When I try a rooibos that doesn't have that flavour, I'm surprised.

Okay, from the website:

Sheer decadence

There are few dessert teas more satisfying than Crème Caramel Rooibos. Smooth, sweet and creamy, it’s a taste sensation. And the best part is it's made with South African rooibos, which is caffeine-free, nutty and naturally sweet. So indulge in a caramel dream. At zero calories, it might be the healthiest thing you do all day.
Best served: Hot Tea / Tea Latte

Ingredients

Rooibos, caramel pieces (condensed milk, sugar, glucose syrup, butterfat, sorbitol, monoglycerides and diglycerides), natural and artificial flavouring.

Look at the ingredients in the caramel pieces: sorbitol, monoglycerides, diglycerides, glucose syrup, etc. Ick!


Overall Impression: Mellow and sweet...not much of a flavour beyond "sweet". No smoky/burnt flavour to this rooibos, but I steeped it at 80 degrees instead of 100, so maybe that made a difference. I wouldn't buy this because I just don't buy rooibos "teas" any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DavidsTea Advent Calendar Day 13

Day 13 is Ginger Turmeric Tonic (not listed on the website) which is a low-caffeine green tea. Ingredients: Ginger, genmaicha (green tea, ...